Sunday, June 10, 2007

Bedding Time

Since putting the boys into the new cage, I've been thinking that Care Fresh isn't going to cut it anymore (even if it is one of the better bedding products out there). So after doing a bit of research, I came across Palace Pet, which sells veterinary bedding. Chris and I just finished ordering one so we can give it a try.

Fleece and vet beddings get mixed reviews, but that can be said of everything else. If this bedding is good at keeping moisture and bacterial growth at bay, and is as sturdy and reusable as it claims, just buying a few will be more economical in the long run than buying large bags of Care Fresh every couple of weeks. A bag of Care Fresh is good for two cage cleanings, and whatever is replaced after daily maintenance. Because the cage is pretty big, and houses only two pigs reusable bedding make sense.
Aside from the features it discloses, the site also donates 5% of the purchase to any charity you choose from their list (which has nothing to do with anything, I just think that's cool).

Above is a photo of the color we chose. Once it arrives, I'll be sure to write my observations (and of course, my opinion). It if works out, I'll probably buy enough to last a month and cut them into strips in order to make the bottom of the cage paneled. The pigs already have their own laundry load, so it would work out perfectly. Until then, check out the site, or share your advice/opinions.

No comments: