Thursday, June 7, 2007

Pigtastic Project No. 1: Tepee, Attempt #1

Last week, I made a sorry excuse for a tepee. Well, it wasn't that bad, but it could look much better. The boys liked it alright, but aesthetically speaking it's an eyesore, and I'm reluctant to add it to the new cage.

I've decided to share the steps I took to make one, as well as the mistakes I made in making the pig tepee.

You'll Need:
Three wooden dowels, twine (or thick wire), scissors, measuring tape, chalk, fabric (not shown), needle and thread (not shown).







Step One: Fasten two of the dowels together with twine to form two sides of a triangle.









Step Two: Fasten the third dowel to form a tripod.











Step Three: This is where I made the mistake, so read on.

Measure out and cut the fabric. When you cut the hole DO NOT cut it the way I have (shown here). Leave a border and cut a hole an inch or two away from it. In other words, there should be a hold in the middle of Spidey's head, not a "bite mark."





Step Four: Drape the fabric around the tripod. If you cut the fabric properly, there will be no need to sew the top the way I did. You live and you learn.









Step Five: Let your dear little furbabies enjoy!








Of course, there are better methods of creating a tepee... simpler ways... like towels and clothes pins. I could just smack myself. Anyway, be sure to visit this link to view photos of cavy tepees.
And if I ever decide to do mine the right way, I'll be sure to post it.

No comments: